Ngati Paoa of the Hauraki confederation have a pa on Taylor's Hill. Later they are in conflict with Ngati Whatua in the 1790s and Ngapuhi in the 1820s. The area is called Whanganui ("large bay") by local Maori.
28 May 1841
The 6000 acre Kohimarama block is sold to the Crown by Ngati Paoa.
1 February 1842
Following an initial survey of the area, the first Crown Land Grants are made available for sale.
1844 - 1862
William Taylor and his sons together own most of the land from St Heliers and Tamaki to Point England.
The Tamaki West Highway Board, covering the Oraki to Glendowie to Panmure and Waiatarua area, is created.
Tamaki West School is opened, covering a similar area. Previously there had been a local Presbyterian school from 1850.
St Heliers Land, Building and Investment Company builds a wooden wharf at St Heliers, and gives it its name. From 1883 the company is instead known as the St Heliers and Northcote Land Company.
The local Telegraph Office opens, which in 1893 became a full Post Office.
St Heliers reports only 24 residents. The area is known for its farming, tourism and some residential, relying on ferries to the city from St Heliers Bay wharf. The Devonport Steam Ferry Company runs to Orakei, Kohimarama and St Heliers up until 1925, and the wharf was demolished in 1930.
The census now reports 227 residents in St Heliers Bay, and another 75 along the St Heliers Road.
The census now reports 352 residents in the St Heliers Bay area - half of the total number for the Tamaki West Road Board area. Consequently, land agents started subdivisions in the area. At the same time there were just 64 residents in Kohimarama.
The census reports 507 in St Heliers, and 885 in 1921 - evidence of the general post war boom in Auckland's population.
St Heliers now had 1737 residents, 50% of the total population of the Board area. The population remains close to St Heliers as they are still reliant on the ferries.
The Tamaki and Orakei Road Boards split Orakai off to join Auckland City.
29 November 1929
The waterfront drive opens for traffic, and there is a tramline to Meadowbank by 1930. Commuters can now choose to travel by tram, bus or private vehicle.